Short-wave transmitter PCJ
Philips Research Laboratories in Eindhoven gained a great success in 1927, with the experimental short-wave transmitter PCJJ. Queen Wilhelmina spoke on 1 June 1927 directly by means of the short-wave transmitter to compatriots in the East and West-Indies. This was for Philips the reason to start a world broadcast. This led to the establishment of the PHOHI (Philips broadcasting Holland Indies). Around 1929 the Philips call sign became PCJ.
The Research Laboratories continued with the development of a new transmitter. The first stage originated from an experimental ultra short-wave broadcasting station which was in operation up to October 1931 in Amsterdam. From September 1934 there were already regular experimental transmissions. At the end of 1936 the power had been raised by connecting a stage with two water-cooled type TA 20/250 valves. This provided a capacity of 60 kW at a frequency of 15.22 MHz and became the strongest short-wave transmitter in Europe. In 1937, this transmitter was moved from Eindhoven to the Phohi Transmitter Park near Huizen.
Although at various times sabotaged, the PCJ transmitter survived the war. After the war it remained in use as a world service broadcasting transmitter up to 1957. The PCJ transmitter was stored in the building of the former radio station Kootwijk for a long time. In 1998, the PTT (KPN) sold the complex to the Dutch government. And all equipment needed to find another home destination, in January 2001 the PCJ transmitter went to the Philips museum, where it is now on display.
Spanne en Spanningen. Willem Vogt. 1958
Het experimentele korte golf omroepstation PCJ. Philips Technisch Tijdschrift jan. 1938
Radio-Centrum 1937. Nr. 9, 45.
Range 1956. Philips Telecommunication Journal. PCJJ-Pioneer on shortwaves
The PCJ station as installed in 1937 at Huizen. Left is part of the power supply. At the end, the control room. At the right are the final stages for both the 19 and 31 metre wavelength. These final stages are mounted in an open wooden frame. The rotating antenna masts. Installed in 1937. The complex structure was unique in the world. It was capable of optimising radiation power to the desired target area. It consisted of two 60 metre high towers. In order to maintain minimum absorption the towers were built of wood. The platforms in the summit served as suspension for the antennas. In the direction of the beam, the radiation is a total of 24 times stronger than a simple dipole. The PCJ transmitter final stage has been built up in the Philips Museum Eindhoven.
The foreground shows the Lecher system, including the flow of cooling water for the valves. For the two triodes 240 litres per minute of water is needed.
At the top are the two water-cooled transmitter valves type TA 20/250.
Each can supply up to 250 kW at 20 kV.
The heating current is 420 A.
A separate cabinet contains the tuning of the final stage and contains 4 water-cooled transmitter valves of the type TA 12/20 000 K.
The PCJ can be found on the short-wave stations dial on the Philips radios of that time.
Edward Startz (1899-1976). Star presenter of the PCJ
He was appointed in 1928 at Philips, where he worked on test broadcasts on the shortwave transmitter PCJ. Around this time he started his famous Happy Station program. In 1938 he became program leader of the PHOHI (Philips Omroep Holland Indies). During the war he retired from broadcasting. After the war he resumed his work at the newly established Radio Netherlands Worldwide (RNW).